Sunday 4 January 2015

Day 4 2015: All roads *lead* from...

Day 4: ...Nihonbashi

Last night we were watching a TV program which examined in some detail one of my favourite pics, the view of Nihonbashi in the morning, a woodblock print by Hiroshige. It is one of 53 scenes he produced of 'stations' along the way from Kyoto to what is now known as Tokyo. Many students I've taught over the years tend to come to Japanese studies through an interest in contemporary manga and anime. I had an interest in the woodblock art since studying at high school; same sort of attraction, different eras I guess. 

Anyway, I decided last night, after watching the show, that after meeting up with a friend to view the Joseph Banks exhibition in Shibuya, I would return home via Nihonbashi and have another closer look at this bridge and its surrounds. 

A reprint of the original by Hiroshige

Obviously, it looks nothing like it did in the picture completed in the 1830s...but's what's psephyspix for if not to imagine? The student runners from the previously mentioned ekiden also pass over the bridge so I had another reason to have a look. 

The first approach

Having crossed, the other approach

The marker: 'Nihonbashi'

The bridge from the first approach

Plaques showing the history

Some of the striking statues

...and detail

Walking across the bridge

...and detail
More detail... because of fascination

Pigeons roost...everywhere

And watch over the bridge's traffic

...and become part of the furniture

...or stand out with outstanding plumage

Possibly some leftovers from yesterday's ekiden

This marks the starting point for all roads out of Tokyo

The other side of the bridge

Did you really think I wasn't going to play with reflections dear reader....

...or this? 'After Hiroshige'...if I may

A few of us were taking pics today


The intersection where I turned left to head home after a bit of a stroll...
'Hanagoromo' by Tanaka Akira c. 1988

I'm not doing terrible well with the one pic a day vaguely vague guideline for this year's #project 365, dear reader, for which I beg your indulgence. But I think you'll agree, some of the shots are worth viewing. 

I walked on through the backstreets of Ginza, back towards Kanda and onto Awajicho to catch the train home. It was a lovely day immersed in the histories of Australia and Japan. 

[Camera : Canon EOS 60D 28-80mm, 2.44pm-3.37pm]