Saturday 8 October 2016

Day 282 2016: Finding another piece in the puzzle...

Day 282: ...blurring the lines between work and...

...well, it is not quite play but what is it really, this thing called research? Certainly it is a part of my job description. But how is it that part of my job has me heading off with great anticipation to the library to work, on a Saturday. Or work late at night. Or on Sundays.

Sometimes our work knows no bounds.

Suffice to say, I've been using the National Library in Tokyo since 1988 when I was last living here as a graduate student.  I've made a point of visiting every time I've visited Japan in between then and now, now that I'm living here again, as an academic. 

And although there is much more computerisation since then, much of the rest has stayed pretty much the same, right down to the place where I have my coffee while waiting for my articles to be copied. (That's right, we can't copy selected articles ourselves, we have to order copies...)

The view from the coffee shop

Stepping outside after a long intense day

Handwritten manuscripts exhibition, next week!
Another reason to return to the library (because I need one..).

Sculpture

Mirrored 

The 'Pause' statue

Autumn rain; autumn leaf, on Pause

It is actually the library for this place, the National Parliament 

So I just potter about the day, updating my own research catalogue and finding the occasional gem. Like today. It was the article needed last week when I presented part of my research work to my colleagues. Never mind, I have found it in time for the written version. 

Finding all the pieces to fit all the puzzles. That's why there is this blur between work and what we do the rest of the time. 

[Camera : iPhone6s, 1.21pm; Lumix TZ-85, 4.50pm-4.55pm; 8 October 2016]