Sunday 23 July 2023

In search of...(again)

 ...water lilies or lotus flowers

...whereupon the winner was...a brilliant red dragonfly. I spotted it at the lotus pond at the Tokyo Daibutsu, our local temple. I went in search of lotus flowers in full bloom, but it looks like I was a few days late. The lotus is significant for this particular Buddha, with a lotus sculpture in front of the statue.

So, while I was late for the flowers (there was one) they had also reached that rather lovely stage (I think) where the petals had fallen and the centres are more prominent. 

But the unexpected catch was the 'scarlet dragonfly', (ショウジョウ(猩猩)蜻蛉)which just happened to appear before me. Gorgeous. Not to be mistaken with the more famous 'akatonbo', which is a little less red, and more a sign of autumn.

At the local botanical gardens, I happened to be chatting to one of the volunteers there, and that's how I found out the name of this particular species. I didn't realise, that in the traditional Japanese myths and legends, Japan was once known as the land of the dragonfly. After the last couple of weeks, I'm not surprised. 

My fave little inspiration 

Just thinking, thinking


All angles


A real catch



Look, is it even a photo trip if there isn't a duck?

...or two

The Daibutsu, and his lotus

Just the one


Moving on to the next stage




Also, cicada season 




Anyway, another lovely walk around my local area, it is still a bit to resume the Musashino no Michi walks, but I will, soon. 

Today's cam, the Lumix G-99D, 14-140mm lens.