Thursday 2 July 2015

Day 183 2015: Can you read the signs?

Day 183: ...'What's that Skip?'

Marking. Communication. Miscommunication. I can only read what is on the page in front of me. Turns out, sometimes, that the mark received is not always the mark expected. 'But that's not what I meant!' or 'But can't you see what I wanted to write?' or 'But I thought you knew that...?' etc. I've heard just about every rebuttal going. 

So when I arrived at work this morning, I knew I had a day ahead of reading, assessing, marking...a range of emotions from puzzlement to joy. Best to focus, literally, before I got started. So, to the lake first and its blue, green symmetry...a clear beauty. 


Morning calm


And then, the two butcher birds, with their lovely song and their asymmetrical dance...



Sing a song of...

So far, so good. Clear messages in nature might augur well for clear messages in the essays...

But the kanga probably sent the best message. Look closely...what are the signs telling me? 


Ah, you again...

...in the middle of my breakfast...

Here, read this...

...or this...

...still not getting it?

...right here

Yep, all looks fairly harmless, just a scratch here, a scratch there...but look at those paws, one, two...two fingers in my direction? Couldn't give a...?


Hmm, refocus
It demands a change of focus, sometimes. 

And yep, marking done, there was much room for ambiguity. But some good stuff too. 

[Camera : Canon EOS 60D, 75-300mm, 9.55am-9.59am]