Sunday 3 August 2014

Day 214: Street...music...

Day 214: ...the urban

Our clarinet rehearsals fall every other Saturday morning so even though we spent a whole weekend together last weekend, it was back to the crotchet factory today. Beautiful day to do it too. Sunshine, bluesky etc.  Each Saturday after rehearsal, I pass the burnt-out shell of the old skating rink on Enoggera Terrace. It's been like that for years. I often drive past thinking it would make an intriguing photography project one day, if you could ever get in there. Today, I just happened to be stopped in front of the graffiti on the front wall. 

I don't mind the 'graffiti-as-art' thing, and smart graffiti is smart; I'm not a huge fan of the untidy 'tags' we see around. Nonetheless, I thought there was something urban and gritty about this latest edition to the building. One day, I'll do more, one day.



Skaters' place
I was on my way to my 'other' music gig, down the road at the coffee shop/boutique. That was a solid three hours (with a 30 minute assist by a passing musician who offered a bit of a jam session). That was about five hours of music today...at the end I had a smoothie from the shop, in a glass just asking to be photographed...


Smoothie operator
(after Sade, one of the pieces I busk away)

It's such an urban life. 

[Camera : iPhone 4S, 12.18pm, 4.16pm; some cropping]

Oh, and the clarinet choir? Following our Brolga Theatre debut last weekend...we're playing at the Brisbane Powerhouse this month...the Powerhouse: very. urban. music.

And that's a pretty big deal for amateurs like us.