Saturday 22 July 2017

Day 202, 21 Jul 2017: All good things must...

Day 202: ...have a pause and resume later

And so my friends and colleagues Anita and Sandra return to Australia today after a week or so of telling and teaching stories of Aboriginal Australia to students here at the university. Some of the final readings of the students' work was a demonstration of the commitment and passion these two women have for their work. I think the students get it, I know they will be changed by it. Now and into the future. 

I'm a bit sad my friends are returning home today but so grateful for the week they've been here. And, as these things go, it is not the end, but just a pause and we will continue our work, there and here and  in between. 

And as I farewelled them on the road to the airport, a new chapter started in my research as I attended my first meeting with the research institute set up by former Prime Minister Hatoyama. It focuses on the East Asian Community concept and it was a very interesting night. 

Traces 

Spots

Clouds on the horizon

More of the same

Fly over

Hatoyama House


Hatoyama has opened up the family home (his father was a former leading member of the Liberal Democratic Party) which is now part museum, part public gathering space. After the special lecture, we were invited to sit on the dining area and eat a small meal, prepared earlier. 

It looks and feels all rather promising. 

Funny how this research/academic life comes in waves. It has been a fantastic 10 days, from start to finish. And I am so grateful to know both Sandra and Anita and value them beyond measure. 

[Camera : Lumix TZ-85, 9.36am-10.46am, 15.57pm; iPhone6s, 5.20pm; 21 July 2017]