Saturday 4 March 2017

Day 63, 4 Mar 2017: Off to Kamakura...

Day 63: ...but not to see the big Buddha

...but perhaps the big kahuna. 

There is a bit of urgency emerging with the research paper now. This is my last weekend here before the presentation. I probably didn't *have* to go to Kamakura before I leave but the idea of an entire complex built around a women's surf club got me intrigued enough to make the trip. 

So I did. 

I've been to Kamakura a number of times previously. It is a lovely go-to spot, an hour from my end of Tokyo. It is mostly famous for the Big Buddha, DaiButsu, the second largest in Japan. I've taken many visiting friends there over the years. 

But today was not so much about the buddha but all about the beach. Zaimokuza and Yuigahama are just around the heads from Shonan which I visited a couple of weeks ago. 

First look

seaweed


Shell and grit

Yachts

Waiting

Up

Moving

Slowing

Tidal movements

Waiting

Done

Surf club complex

Signs of another time

Anti-graffiti

Road underpass

Silhouettes

Surf complex tenants

Walking back to Kamakura station

And because I'm a political scientist, part of a stone sculpture, with the character as written by
former Prime Minister Sato, a one-time Nobel Peace prize recipient 


Again, infrastructure-wise, this part of greater Tokyo might be a better place to hold the surfing events at the 2020 Olympics but I guess they have their reasons for going all the way out to Chiba. And while Chiba is nice, I have to say, I felt much more 'in the right place' here at Kamakura. Familiarity breeds comfort, in this case perhaps. 

So much so, I've decided to become a member of the club when I return from Australia. It seems the right thing to do. 

[Camera : Canon EOS 60D, 24-105mm, 70-300mm, 12.48pm-3.43pm, (Sun on the water, 'silhouettes', at 3.05pm); 4 March 2017]