Thursday 16 January 2014

Day 16: Is that a cloud, or...?

Day 16: ...a canopy...

A little bit of out and about today, first to have a morning coffee with a couple of lovely tweeps Mel (@melkettle) and Susan (@snoozen) then off in search of materials relating to my current project, or one of my current projects. Apart from my 1893 project, I'm currently seeking avenues to build up my Hannah Arendt collection. 


Canopy by Neil Dawson, 1993

That meant walking via my favourite sculpture in Brisbane, Neil Dawson's 'Canopy' (1993) which is suspended outside the entrance to the Queensland Art Gallery. It has been there for a number of years and I like it because it is there and not there, and it is different every time I see it...are we seeing it, or the sky, or the clouds? Look again, it is there...

On the way home, I was reading an introduction to a book about Hannah Arendt's thought. In it the author, Margaret Canovan notes that:

originality need not and often does not consist in discovering new things, 
but in enabling us to notice things that were there all the time 
but that we overlooked because our attention was focused elsewhere...*

I like that. It sums up both what I'm trying to do in my research, and with a little luck, some of the pics that will appear here over the next 365 days. Cheers. 

[Camera : iPhone 4S, 12.29pm]

*Margaret Canovan, The Political Thought of Hannah Arendt, London: Methuen, 1977; p. 6.