Saturday 18 January 2014

Day 18: You say neenish...

Day 18: ...I grew up with the neinish tart...

Saturday, with no plans to do much other than housework and research and writing work. The research was quite exciting, possible breakthrough...stay tuned.

And it's not the plan for this blog to be about my garden or food life, but it seems so so far I suppose. Today's pic is an impulse buy I made this morning at the bakery. We have a lovely little bakery down the road which still does all the simple things like we used to get as kids: cream buns, coffee rolls, the swiss rolls--jam, coffee and chocolate and cream--custard tarts and so on and all made with old familiar recipes. Oh, and pies and pasties...


The neinish: 101 years old!

As I was buying my bread I noticed the neinish tarts...they do a nice one here and so I bought one. A little lighter in colour than the old days but with that old-style taste. Just for research purposes, I looked up the tart: it was 100 years old last year, apparently and is an Australian original, apparently. The more common spelling is 'neenish' apparently, while the 'neinish' of my familiar is apparently an affectation, to intimate possible German origins. So there you go. A little bit of nostalgia, close-up, for morning tea. 

[Camera : iPhone 4S, 11.21am]