Friday 31 January 2014

Day 31: One day a weed...

Day 31: ...the next a tea...

I've long been fascinated by the way we classify things. Whether it be good or bad, in or out, weed or flower... Definitions and classification are part of my day job. The biggest one I've had to grapple with in recent years is 'terrorist', for example. International security and politics throw up these questions all the time. 

Tea...?
Out in the garden too, we wrestle with these questions. Some would have my jacarandas out the back dismissed as imported weeds; I'm going to keep them because I love their purple flowers. The dandelion is another. A favourite as kids as we picked them as blew their seeds away, they were designated weeds for a while and met their fate via the lawn mower blades. I've always hesitated however and confess the the yellow flower stage is one of the most beautiful of nature's geometric possibilities. Just look at the complexity in those petals. These days it is a highly regarded health food plant. Heh, gives me some hope that my work will be something one day. 

[Camera : iPhone 4S, 9.18am]