Saturday 17 May 2014

Day 137: 'A Tribute of Sorts'...

Day 137: ...to 'Moby Dick', via a boardwalk

I had a plan today to head into town to see a play, 'A Tribute of Sorts'. Perhaps I was out of sorts, I didn't quite get the humour others in the audience did. I left home a bit early, big camera in hand, switched to 'M' with a clear intention to wander around from the bus stop to the theatre in South Brisbane. A bit of a retracing of steps but also a desire to take some pics of the industrial area. I've been interested in that most urban of urban landscapes since I first picked up a camera. It is a theme I like to focus on (pun unintended).

For some reason, I always feel a little more self-conscious walking around my city, camera attached, than I do in a place I might be visiting. I have no reason to be like that really...I'll just have to get out more. 

After the play, I had an opportunity to sit at SLQ and properly contemplate the potential enormity of the task if I pursue yesterday's archival work...should I or shouldn't I? It is academically (and therefore career-wise) precarious because there are no grants forthcoming, and without grants, one's value diminishes...and yet...

The other reason I sat at the State Library was to fill in time before the evening's piece de resistance...Moby Dick (1956), the John Huston-directed film, featuring Orson Welles and Gregory Peck, amongst others. The Gallery is running a series of Welles-related films, I've even managed 'a tribute of sorts' below in the pics.  I'm working on the whaling issue between Japan and Australia and consider Moby Dick to be a central part of popular culture from whence our views emerged. The Gallery had two versions showing tonight: a digital remastered version, or a restored 16mm version...I went completely old school...so glad I did. 



Orson...awesome (Gallery of Modern Art)

Starting, on the boardwalk....

Mangroves, always fascinating...

Underside of the bridge

Could be anywhere, any era...

Was once a busy factory...

Back in the day


Digital v film: I'm going to have to get the old school camera out again soon, just because. 

[Camera : Canon EOS60D, 18-55mm, 1.06-1.36pm; various settings]