Sunday 25 May 2014

Day 145: We'll be coming round the mountain...

Day 145: ...SLO (BCPO) on the road...

Today was a regular event in my calendar. The Orchestra's day out to Mt Mee Community Hall. We've been playing there every year for over ten years now. Again, another marvellous community, we always play to a full house and the community always fills us with the very best of all that home made cooking at interval. It's a longish day, but I always look forward to it. 

But the day started with a rather determined little critter making its way along the fence...I spotted it while washing up, just outside the kitchen. Its determination had to be captured.

Inching along...I'll get there...

Determination is good. I often have to pinch myself when  think about playing in an orchestra, and one as good and as much fun as SLO (now Brisbane City Pops...). Years ago, in my mid-thirties as my abilities to continue with sport began to diminish through illness, I thought, 'what else can I do as part of a team'? Of course, having not picked up a musical instrument since year 8 music class (yes, the ubiquitous recorder), well naturally one's mind turns to playing in a band, playing wind instruments with lots of keys, like saxophones and clarinets...from scratch; which I did. And I've not looked back. I'll never be a Karin Schaupp (see Day 144), but days like today, in the fresh mountain air, make me pleased I get to sit in the back row and count lots of rests and play lots of semibreves (the long, whole notes)...well, sometimes it gets a bit more complicated. 

The view from the back row,  just after the break...


Lunchbreak, and time to look at the scenery: lovely, though there was a brief moment where the cow and I eyeballed each other, I know how she felt...sometimes my work makes me feel just like that, and tomorrow is Monday...

A concert with a view...

I hear you sister...

Thanks, as always, Mt Mee. We'll be back next year. 

[Cameras : Canon PowerShot A490 (Mt Mee outside), 1.36pm, 1.41pm; iPhone 4S, 8.46am, 3.28pm]