Wednesday 21 May 2014

Day 141: Telling stories...

Day 141: ...writing histories

Today was a day on campus, the main purpose was to speak to senior high school students about Japanese history. It was a particular period of history, the Meiji period (1868-1912) but as we write history, understand history, how we make history...how important are dates versus the actions, the outcomes and do our stories in fact traverse time? 

This group was the first group to hear about the story of the Japanese woman I discovered  yesterday. I talked about the work in the archives...the letters I noted, the letters I passed over (not many of those really), the decisions I have to make as someone writing 'one history'. I guess for those students interested in the topic, it made for interesting listening. 

On the way back to the car I walked past one of the ponds on campus. I suppose it could be a pond for 'industrial' purposes or it just might be a pond. Nonetheless, with the sun setting through the trees, the reflection, the lilies, there was a touch of the Monet...at a stretch. If you look closely there was a bit of life left in the day after all. 

Reflections on a sunset pond...
Something there...


There's always a story to tell. 

[Camera : iPhone 4S, 4.47pm, 4.46pm]