Friday 31 October 2014

Day 299: Last look...

Day 299: ...for now.

Since we are due to head off to Wakayama City later in the morning, I mention to Jinko I'd like to go for der back down the waterfront, an early Sunday morning walk. There's a walk around the headland I noticed on the map. I'd like to catch the sunrise. I'd also like to just see what local reaction to a lone foreigner with camera is, given the stories I've heard. 

Reflection of a whale's tail

Well, every person I walk past, offers a cheery greeting of acknowledgement, a 'good morning', which I return quite unreservedly. I figured they've worked out I'm not part of the Sea Shepherd crew and the Shigeko telegraph has worked well. 

Early morning fisherman

Closed
As it turned out, the headland was closed, ostensibly for falling rocks; but also I heard it was to make access difficult for the Sea Shepherd supporters to get around there...shame really, I'd have like to have seen the ocean from that viewpoint. The coastline from the Peninsula park yesterday was quite remarkable. 

Fishing net

As I make my way back, I get a closer look at the tsunami damage, it has left a gap on the waterfront. As Shigeko-san commented yesterday, most people forget the this coastline was affected by the tsunami which hit Tohoku and Fukushima and surrounds. She seemed just a little wistful as she spoke about that. There'll be more on the new blog.

I'l be back. There is so much more to learn about here.

Bus and then train back to Wakayama. 

Wakayama Castle

One of the loveliest floral specimens I've seen

Late sun in the temple grounds

You won't believe what this lot were up to...

The autumn leaves begin...


A Wakayama sunset from the Castle hilltop


We were shown a few of the sights by the Hashimoto's (Yosh, Jinko's husband has joined us now) nephew and then dinner in a charming little izakeya. Just lovely. Tomorrow, it's to the library and the uni, but today, we see the sights. But I'm still thinking about Taiji.

[Camera : Canon EOS 60D, 28-80mm, various times]