Tuesday 3 November 2015

Day 307 2015: Some days a rose...

Day 307: ... but I take no credit

Indeed, I take no credit whatsoever for this rose. It is a complete gardening accident. Many many years ago, I planted several rose bushes in my then 'new' house. I thought for houses to become 'homes' they needed rose bushes. Plus, they were my grandparents' favourite flowers too, so that was reason enough. 

Three of the originals survive. I do very little to them apart from the occasional pruning. There is one that works quite hard, produces robust pink flowers on a very regular basis, particularly after a good downpour. 

The second produces one quite stunning mauve rose each year, just one, once a year, around Mothers Day, which is very thoughtful of it. 

And then, there is the third one...this one:

A rose by any other name...
...is a fluke


Only thing is, it must be a hybrid of sorts. It flowers on average once every three years and when it does, it blooms pink ones, yellow ones, white ones, red ones and these ones, the variegated sort. All off the same bush. I really don't know the hows and whys and I take no credit for it at all, but it works for me. 

[Camera : Canon EOS60D, 28-80mm, 5.59am]