Sunday 15 November 2015

Day 319 2015: At the end of the road...

Day 319: ...a hut, old style

I'm starting to tote up a few 'lasts' as the year draws to a close: last classes, last exams, last meetings, no wait, there will be plenty more meetings between now and the end of January; I work in a bureaucracy after all. 

But it is the list of 'last concerts' I'm feeling the most. I have had the good fortune and privilege to play with one of Brisbane's best community orchestras for the last 15 years or so, just up the back, playing the bass notes on the bass clarinet, pretending I can play quavers in the highest register on the little clarinet...we play concerts regularly throughout the year and Monday nights have been rehearsal nights for as long as I can remember. 

Two weeks ago, I played my last Schonell Theatre concert (for a while) and today was the last concert at another venue that has become a popular one, the Kedron-Wavell Services Club. We've been playing there for over ten years now and they've been a fabulous audience. The ABBA fan club was a bit legendary. 

During the lunch break, I noticed one of the local club houses I hadn't seen before, somehow it just struck me as a touch nostalgic amidst a huge shopping centre, high density apartments, gaudy, showy RSL club environment. It took me back...


Out Chermside way c. 1965, but actually 2015

And then, with lunch over, away we went, 90 minutes of music from the musicals. Coincidentally, and poignantly, a medley of tunes from Les Miserables was our final piece, our final peace. My peace. #Paris 

[Camera : Canon EOS60D, 75-300mm, 1.16pm]