Saturday 3 December 2016

Day 337 2016: A big day...

Day 337: ...here and there

It was a big day today, in my two parts of the world. Back home, in Brisbane, friend and ABC broadcaster Spencer Howson was hanging up his headphones, at least from the Breakfast program after 11 years (plus an earlier stint). That's a lot of mornings to get up early. My BBPC* (*Best Blogging Partner in Crime) Susan (aka @snoozen) was there to catch the action this morning while all I could do was listen from 4.05am from this part of the world. Pop over to Susan's post for today to see all the pics. In fact, Susan and I met in the studio one morning when she was following me after an interview/commentary I did with Spencer about elections, or the movie Love Actually or something. 

612ABC Brisbane is truly the heartbeat of Brisbane and an essential service for many of us. 

So while I was sending my best wishes from afar to Spencer, I was due to head out to my university's western Tokyo campus for a commemoration of an entirely different sort. 

My university has a reasonably long history, 92 years and counting. During the Tokyo bombing, a massive strafing of the city in 1944, four students from the college were killed in the vicinity of the campus, while working and studying 'for the war effort'. Each year, on 2 December, a ceremony is held to remember these students, around the permanent memorial in the grounds. 

As a newish staff member, and as the Peace Studies lecturer with a particular interest in the war, I thought it imperative to attend. 

Not many other academic staff attended, perhaps they've attended previously. But I'm glad I did. There were relatives (now quite elderly) of the students in attendance, which added a particular poignance to the ceremony. 

Family members look at some of the artefacts on display

One of the students, with her sisters

Posthumous graduation certificates and pictures of the bombed area

Part of the memorial garden

The permanent memorial

Camellias are coming into bloom

Flowers

The shrine
 After an address by the Chancellor, everyone was invited to offer incense and prayers (in the Buddhist tradition). It was moving. It reminded me again of history, learning from it and why I do what I do, even if there might be days--hours--minutes--when I think 'could I be doing something else'? No, I don't think so. 

Autumn up against a wall

A perfect blue sky

The campus 

And, was there an eucalyptus in the garden??


It's just what I do. 

A big day. 

[Camera : Lumix TZ-85, 1.16pm-1.27pm, 2 December 2016]