Sunday 18 December 2016

Day 353 2016: In search of illumination...

Day 353: ...finding reds still alive and well

Sunday. Adventure day. Just where to in this time of illuminated parks and streets, Sunday crowds, cold winds and early sunsets. I stayed pretty close to home in the morning with some catch up work to do and so my planned trip to Kamakura is really just deferred for another day. 

Instead, I hopped on the train to Shinjuku, to one of its parks, Shinjuku Gyoen, sort of expecting some kind of illumination (every other park seems to be doing it) only to find I reached it just minutes before closing time, well time enough for a 35 minute wander around in fading light. 

Neighbourhood panther in the making

Seeing baby panther off his patch

Crow wondering

still about

Amassed 

And fallen

Curves

Deep reds

Layered reds

Crown of branches

Turning reds

Branching out to the sky

Close-up

Budding buddies

Chillaxed branch

Able to see tall buildings..

Gradations

Another way to see tall buildings

Shinjuku street lights 



And although there wasn't much anything really in the way of lighting, there were some still marvellous examples of autumn leaves, flashes of red here and there across the park. 

Shinjuku was my first major station and pivot point when I first came to Japan all those years ago. It still has the sense of the familiar, though not what it used to be. 

Unlike my main junction station these days, Ikebukuro where I came upon a few lights...

Yesterday's owl, illuminated

Sumo karaoke champ

Fountain, accidentally illuminated 

So many fairy lights 

Another owl

Santa seeking reindeer

Street decoration

In another light

...and a sumo karaoke competition. Nope, I don't know quite how or why either. I guess it just pays to get out and about sometimes. 

[Camera : Lumix TZ-85, Canon EOS 60D, 28-80mm; 2.34pm-2.42pm, 3.56pm-4.34pm, 4.56pm-5.10pm; 18 December 2016]