Monday 8 August 2022

A little Meiji dreaming...

... some ideas ... (199/365, 18 Jul 2022) 

Over on my insta account, the regular observer will know that I have discovered a charming little shop (well, when I say 'discovered', I mean they were featured on one a tv program I like to watch on Saturday mornings) in downtown Tokyo. They sell little craft pieces, some which they themselves make, and find the most interesting antiques. As born and bred locals, they are particularly interested in reviving and maintaining the history and crafts of Edo, Meiji and Showa eras (and Taisho, when they find them but it was a relatively short period), and they are always finding the most interesting little objets. 

Today, after thinking about it for a few days, I popped back in on the way to work to pick up a 'tateya', a small brush in its own holder, with an inkwell attached, carried around by those with means, to sign their names, or write as the mood took them. Compact, and portable...see, people have been thinking up these things for years...




I have some ideas for a forthcoming little photo/art/outdoor project... watch this space.

Just a quick snap on the iPhone 12 mini, when I got home.