Thursday 3 February 2022

Things aren't really going the way I planned...

 ...bit of light and dark... (34/365, 3 Feb 2022)

I think I shall rename this blog 'scenes from the 10th floor' or something similar for despite my best intentions, this seems to be the developing theme. It probably has to do with the intensive course we are running this week, in between all the meetings, the marking, and today I learned what I thought was one day of exam supervision on the weekend is actually two days, Saturday and Sunday! 'But' I said, 'I have teaching on Saturday which I have already rescheduled because of Sunday...'. Never mind, I can juggle. Apparently.

Today is also a special day, 'setsubun no hi' (節分の日 👹) where we chase out the demons and invite in good luck for the first day of spring on the old calendar. Chase out the demons eh? Can I do that from the tenth floor? But I digress.  

The other thing about this time of year is the light outside, on a sunny day. As a photographer (rank: amateur), I try to be perceptive with the light. The light in the Australian landscape, the light here, sometimes my pics are really just about capturing 'the light'. (Narrator: Um, isn't that the basic underlying principle of er, 'photography'?)

There is a rather odd structure down below the office, after all these years I've never quite got to the bottom of what it is. Anyway, around this time of year, the sun hits it in a certain way, and the colour then beams up here into the office. It's odd, but the picture-taker in me is fascinated. It spooked me a bit in the early days, until I worked out what it was.

The glow...

The reflection

The port lights up at night too...these lights are actually over on the island which was a venue for the Olympics last year, canoeing, kayaks and equestrian as I recall. 


So that's the extent of the excitement today. Goodness me. 

Today's cam being the ever-reliable Canon EOS M5 with 18-150mm lens. I might take it home and try for something *not* from the tenth floor on the way in to the office tomorrow, for yes, tomorrow there is work, despite Tokyo running over the 20,000 cases mark for the second day running...