Thursday 20 February 2014

Day 51: Out of office...

Day 51: ...but work, work, work...

I've been working very hard at getting into good working habits at home to use this time well for all the reading and writing I need to do.  It is so different after years of a 200km per day return commute. It's all falling into place nicely. 


And then some days, one just has to go out for meetings or in modern parlance 'networking'. Today was one of those days: three meetings in the city and across town. Weather-wise, it was not the day to have to walk from Queen St to Parliament House to Customs House and back to Queen Street Mall. The combination of sun, high temperatures and even higher humidity makes walking anywhere (which I would normally enjoy) feel like walking through soup...

Customs House...the view in 1893, perhaps?
Even the little bit of time I had between two meetings to walk along the Riverside side of the river was plagued a little by heat. Another time, I could spend a lot of time snapping away. Here we have that gloriously photogenic 'old and new' combination in the urban landscape. Of course, my work in 1890s Queensland at the moment gives me a renewed sense of interest in Customs House, built in 1889...what would Mr K. Watanabe have thought as he came through Brisbane and saw this building in 1893. I guess, like my impression today--he would have seen what I saw, and stepped forward in time 120 years apart...

Old and new

History...and imagination...see, it's all work after all.

[Camera : iPhone 4S, 12.16pm]