Friday 4 December 2015

Day 338 2015: #Clancestry...

Day 338: ...I pay my respects to elders past, present and future

It's taken White Australia a long time and the contrast with my childhood and early education couldn't be stronger but Brisbane knows how to celebrate our Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islanders culture and history. It is rich, it is real, it is past, it is present. And, watching on tonight, it is also future. 

Tonight was not the first time I've watched this event, the yerabora, where the Brisbane locals welcome the mobs from other countries. But it gives me goosebumps every time. I can't help but feel fortunate to be living on country with such a long history and tradition. This was close up too, the sand, the smoke. 

Watching the youngsters imitate their elders, learning to keep the traditions, before our eyes, feels like a real privilege. 

It is of course the sort of night one could take many, many photos, which I (almost) did. 

We are here

The welcome begins...














My thanks to our Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander brothers and sisters and to those of you who I am fortunate to count among my friends and colleagues. You have my respect and thank you for sharing this night with us whitefellas. #respect

[Camera : Canon EOS60D, 28-80mm, 7.03pm-8.16pm]