Thursday 7 July 2016

Day 189 2016: All quiet on the waterfront...

Day 189: ...but the 'day' didn't lack any colour

We are currently in the process of selecting students to join our seminar groups. This is a style of class in Japanese universities (in my experience) that I think is an excellent idea. Essentially, you work with a group of students over two years in an intensive study/research mode, helping them to achieve their research goals in a particular subject. In my case, that will be Japanese politics and all things related, broadly defined. 

Now, the thing is, there is a limit of ten students per year. This year, being my first, means I get ten students, next year another ten. And so it goes. Selection is via a written statement and consultation. 

Easy huh. 


Not really. I've had over twenty students make genuine enquiries. That means I have to pick and choose. And frankly, from the ones I've spoken to so far, it is going to be a really difficult final decision and there will be disappointments all round...

With all the enquiries today, there wasn't a lot of time to sit and ponder the view, until I saw yesterday's departing ship returning...in a different light:

It's baaacckk

 And then, much to my surprise, jet skis. Portside. Who let them in!

As annoying as mosquitoes at night

So on the way home, I turned right at the gate, instead of the usual left. The uni is placed roughly equidistant between two stations so I thought I'd take in a bit of the night scenery, namely the wheel. 
 

The moon is on its way back

A little light reflection

Wheel of colour

Changing gears

Not quite the Milky Way

It is the Tanabata Festival in Japan this evening, star-crossed lovers seeking each other across the Milky Way, by legend. Unfortunately, it was a bit too cloudy to see any stars so I don't know whether or not that legend got resolved this evening. But there was plenty of colour to make up for that. 

[Camera : Lumix TZ-85, 3.58pm, 4.18pm, 7.29pm-7.44pm; 7 July 2016]