Wednesday 3 August 2016

Day 216 2016: Thinking, thinking, trying, thinking...

Day 216: ...illuminating

There seems to be a habit in my approach to major jobs to spend a while thinking. Actually thinking. Not committing much to paper (or screen as the the case may be), just a few notes, a few thoughts.

I didn't have any classes or meetings today but Sunday is fast approaching, and something I said yes to back in May when it all seemed so far away is well, almost here. I've been asked to to the special lectures for prospective students during the campus open days this Sunday and Monday. Yep, me. It is down to me to encourage (or frighten, as the case may be) high school students who are contemplating studying politics at university, specifically our university. 

There was a lot of looking out the window today, I must unashamedly say...but not a lot of photo-taking, which means I was thinking a lot, right?

Daring jet skiers on the big pond

four seconds earlier it looked like Snoopy, really


By the end of the day, some of those ideas were taking shape on the screen, ideas, to notes, to pixels with just a few adjustments tomorrow and I should be ready. I think.

It was a little bit illuminating too.


The wheel at night

...with a little colour

Tokyo Big Sight's homage to sports...

...possibly the Olympics, or not

The illuminated walk to the station


And I realised as I walked out the door to the station as the first semester draws to a close, how fortunate I am to be in a place where I look forward to coming back in to work tomorrow, and the day after and the day after. I haven't been in that kind of place for a while. 

I am grateful for the students and my colleagues for making it so.

[Camera : Lumix TZ-85, 12.18pm, 5.48pm, 7.15pm, 7.37pm; 3 August 2016]