Wednesday 4 January 2017

Day 3, 3 Jan 2017: Postcards of home...

Day 3: ...and a working lunch

I might be on a break, but the job is such that you rarely getting a complete break. At least, I don't think I've ever had a break that doesn't involve some element of work. But perhaps that's just the nature of my job, there's always something of relevance going on to think about bringing back into the classroom or writing into a research paper. 

But not all working lunches are the same and today was a delightful one with friends and colleagues who will be visiting my campus in Tokyo later in the year to teach our students in a special 'International Week' event we hold, now into its second year. 

It gave me the opportunity to snap some moments around South Bank and home...photos I've taken before of course, but lovely, on a break, to see again sights and places we can take for granted. 

Randy the Reindeer joined us for lunch

...which included roast cauliflower

Reflected Brisbane

The World Turns, Michael Parekowhai (detail)
The World Turns, Michael Parekowhai (detail)


Through the whale mall...

...for a current research project

The new tower of power...how it dominates the skyline

Looking below from above

A secret view

A secret paw

A view of the wheel

Another view of the wheel (and that tower)

Public art...

And detail

A rose in my garden

Not unlike this rose in my garden

Whereupon I spied the frangipanis...

...in full bloom, with raindrops

And a couple of birds along the way

It will be back to Tokyo again in a couple of days for another couple of months before I'm back again to see the sights and sounds of our wonderful city again. 

[Camera : Lumix TZ-85, 12.23pm-2.19pm, 3.07pm-3.55pm, 5.18pm; 3 January 2017]