Sunday 4 October 2015

Day 276 2015: Orchestra for a day...

Day 276: ...and just a little bit

I'm a little lost for words for this current experience...I've always enjoyed my music, ever since forever. I dabbled, as we all do, when at school on the guitar. My high school had a big band though I opted for the hockey team because a hockey stick was more affordable than a saxophone. 

One day in Tokyo, a long long time ago, I found myself with enough savings to buy a saxophone finally. I had no idea what to do with it really. So I took it home as started to teach myself...not easy to do in Tokyo it must be said. 

Back home in Brisbane a few years later I took it along to a beginner woodwind class at the local TAFE, I think I was just into my thirties...never let it be said you can't new things over the age of 28. Those classes led to an adult beginners band, which led to a concert band and one night I had the bass clarinet put in my hands 'because we needed someone to play it'. 

How, what, who, when, where and why I do not know, but by about the year 2000, I found myself a member of the St Lucia Orchestra, a community orchestra of long history and quite high standards. Yes, I still do not know how. 

Fast forward to September 2015 and a call from the QSO for community orchestra players to apply to join the QSO for a day...just like proper musicians with a series of rehearsals over a day and a bit culminating in concert in the QSO Studio at South Bank. Somehow, I was selected. Indeed, I do not know how or why.

I took a little time out during a break in rehearsals to soak up some sunshine and blue sky outside the studio...

How 'The Wheel' looks when you are a musician on a music break

A stunning blue sky day
And then we played...

End of the concert (people are so kind...to applaud)

And it was a whole lot of fun. Thanks QSO.

#dayintheorchestra
Now, to resume as normal a life as might be possible after what has been a life-changing week, nay, six days.

[Camera : Canon EOS60D, 28-80mm, 1.13pm, 1.27pm; iPhone 6, 8.30pm]