Monday 15 September 2014

Day 258: The things you see

Day 258: ...and wonder

Today was an earlyish start across town to hear a lecture on digital media by one of the ABC's staff and author of a recent monograph, Kellie Riordan. It was at the kind invitation of colleague Susan Hetherington. I was impressed by the lecture and the discussion afterwards. Much to think about and so much that was relevant to my own work.

I arrived a bit earlier than planned so had a bit more time to look around campus (and try the coffee). Although it was my second visit in a month, there were things I noticed this time I hadn't seen before. 

Such as...
Campus view

Back in the day, friends of mine came to study at this campus when it was a teachers' college, well before its born-again status as a university. I guess I shouldn't be surprised elements of the old here, but I was. It stood out in an appealingly photogenic way. 

Today I also got to pick-up the new glasses (no wonder things look different!) and I started the inevitable negotiation for new electronic devices...at over four years old, my present collection is starting to show its age...

On the way home, I stopped to look at a tree that has caught the attention of my neighbour and I the last few days. Turns out, thanks to my neighbour's investigations, it is a pink trumpet tree, (Tabebuia rosea). It is on the 'other side' of its blooms I think. It also answers a question about a similar tree I saw in the botanic gardens last week. So it too is a trumpet tree. 


Trumpet petal


Trumpet #bluesky

Another angle, petal (no edits/ no filter)

So nice to solve these questions about the things you see from time to time. 

[Camera : iPhone 4S, 9.50am, 1.50-1.53pm]