Thursday 25 September 2014

Day 268: Clouds, Oceans...

Day 268: ...an urban Topology

I did get up and about today as I intended to yesterday. Starting with a coffee with a friend it was off to town to update my technological life (though due to a lack of stock, that won't happen until Monday now). On the way, I had to make a bit of an unexpected detour to the Western suburbs on some uni related matters but that was minor. It made my time a bit pressed to ensure I got to see another Brisbane Festival event or two today. (More of that shortly.)

The clouds today portrayed their own story from morning to the storms in the afternoon to sunset. And, as you know dear reader, I've got a bit of an interest in photographing clouds...

In between engagements in town, I managed (just) to catch a performance of 'Ocean's Skin' a collaboration between one of my favourite Brisbane groups Topology and Los Angeles-based Heidi Duckler Dance Theatre. It was in the Whale Mall in QPAC and, always intrigued by whales and their cultural representation I went along, for work purposes of course...

The clouds, the ocean, the water sounds...

A little cloud cover

Ocean's Skin scene 

Cloud wisps

Scene from Ocean's Skin

Storm clouds circling (colour...not greyscale)

In the Whale Mall

The storm arrives (colour, not greyscale)

Ocean's Skin, final scene

The storm, final scene

By the end of the day I thought they wove and interleaved with each other. Another fascinating and challenging performance by Topology and the choreography was fabulous. And yes, the thoroughfare remained open during the performance. 

It just occurred to me that this is what our arts festival is all about. The Brilliant Arts!

[Camera : (Clouds) Canon EOS 60D, 28-55mm, 7.26am, 7.47am, 4.20pm. 4.26pm, 5.44pm;
(Ocean's Skin) iPhone 4S, 3.05pm-3.26pm]