Monday 22 September 2014

Day 265: Newness...

Day 265: ...a winter survived

I have several weaknesses. One of them is gardening. Anything you see before you dear reader is a fluke. Anytime I've carefully planted, tended, coaxed new foliage, it has generally ended in tears (and who likes to see plants cry?). Whenever I've left something be, let it take its own course, embrace its own micro-bio-environment...it has thrived. What does that tell you?

(The same does not happened with writing, unfortunately; it would be good if it looked after itself.)

Anyway, one of the plants I fret over during winter is the bonsai. A gift from my mother a few years ago, it has survived, nay, thrived thus far. It gushes fresh green leaves in spring, it pretends to offer shade to small insects during summer, it fades to brown in autumn, and stands tall and bare in these horrendous Brisbane winters. (OK, the last is a bit of literary hyperbole...)

Nonetheless, it is always a tense few weeks around the time the shoots should appear. They didn't appear this year in their usual time. I kept watering. I watched. I trimmed the branches. Nothing. 

Oops. Or so it seemed. 

Then...this morning: 

Signs of spring, at last
春の盆栽


Bonsai spider
盆栽蜘蛛



And all is well as spring powers on.

[Camera : Canon EOS 60D, 28mm, 9.01am, 9.07am]