Saturday 25 June 2016

Day 177 2016: My Saturday place...

Day 177: ...it's worth it, really

One thing I enjoy about Saturdays (if I'm not rehearsing or going to performances, or marking) is to go and sit in a coffee shop and have a coffee, read the paper, take in the zeitgeist etc. I used to have a little cafe up the road at home where I did that. 

And while I'm yet to settle into any real day-to-day humdrum patterns of life (except going to and from work of course), I have found a little coffee shop which, during the week, qualifies as being on the way to or from work, conveniently. It is on the same subway line I catch to work...

Come Saturday, well, it generally means a special trip (unless, as I might, make it a destination as I go to and from the National Library). But today was, indeed, a special trip. About 60 mins each way to score a cup of Byron Bay coffee, long black, made just like home. 

Coffee, long black, and a salted cream scone; could become a thing
And since I'll be spending a bit of time here from time to time, I thought I should introduce you to a little of the Ichigaya neighbourhood. 

Downhill to the station

At the intersection

Looking up

'Wild' 'life'

The outer moat (train station to the left)

Safest spot for the boats

Looking down


The waterway is what's known as the 'outer moat' of the Imperial Palace which is not too far from here. Nor is the Yasukuni Shrine, the controversial shrine, I might take you there one day. The birds. How do they survive in the green-in-all-the-wrong-places water...?

It is worth the stop off. I'll be back. 

[Camera : iPhone 6S, 4.14pm; Lumix, TZ-85, 4.37pm-4.43pm; 25 June 2016]