Sunday 5 June 2016

Day 148 2016: We are only talking about...

Day 148: ...giving peace a chance

When in fact, leaders with courage might even seek to realise it. Yes, that's how I feel when yet another word leader arrives in Hiroshima, says all the nice things and then, off he goes (it is invariably a he) and we resume normal programming...

I will stick to the story of the pics here and leave the theorising to the other blog. 

Japan has hosted the G7 Summit for the past two days. At the end of the meeting, US President Obama made a flying visit, literally, to Hiroshima. First to tour the Peace Museum, then to lay a wreath, then to give his speech on 'ridding the world of nuclear weapons'...

In the end I opted to work at home today because I did want to see the visit on TV and its timing might have made it difficult if I'd been in the office. All TV channels covered the visit and the speech. And I'm not sure if pics from a TV count for pics for this blog but just for today I've made an exception...

The two leaders, Abe and Obama, stand before the memorial

The poignant backdrop for the speech

Obama meets bomb survivor, Mr Tsuboi

He embraces another, Mr Mori

And then, that was it
All pics taken from the NHK broadcast. 


[Camera: iPhone 6S, 5.39pm-6.14pm, 27 March 2016]