Thursday 27 August 2015

Day 239 2015: Some days, the prize seems a distance away...

Day 239: ...or right before your eyes

When I first started driving up the Coast to work, somewhat closer to the beginning of the century, I could count on the trip taking about 70 minutes (and about 78c/l petrol...). In the intervening years, the trip is getting longer and longer and the traffic increases daily (and the petrol has about doubled in price).

On some occasions then, I get to work a few minutes, well several minutes, later than anticipated and the car park I choose is about nine minutes walk to the building (I keep thinking 'exercise'). So in the mornings, I don't always have the time I'd like to check out the flora and fauna around the lake.

Take this morning, for example. As I pulled up, I noticed the red fairy wren in the distance. Decison: I have a meeting minus three minutes vs getting a pic of my favourite bird, OK, one of my favourite birds. Bit of a distance, but the 300mm got an impression...

In the distance (cropped)

The prize was a little too far away today...buy a bigger lens. Now there's a metaphor for life.

But the younger or female wren (I think, could be a thornbill) was a bit closer. 


Gripping

And in the spare minute I had, quite literally, that was all I managed today. On the other hand, it is a while since this *(one) photo a day blog* stuck to its guns with just one (or two) pics. So there is that.

[Camera : Canon EOS 60D, 75-300mm, 10.05pm-10.06pm]