Sunday 23 August 2015

Day 235 2015: Signs of spring...

Day 235: ...just not as you might expect


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
WARNING
***snake pics ahead***          
~>')>>>>><<<<--

but also kookas and noisy miners
It's a story about a backyard, just a suburban, Brisbane backyard
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~



One of those rare, stay-at-home Sundays. So much work to be done around the house...inside and outside. So much sleep to catch up on too. After a touch of the latter, I ventured to some inside housework. Just a little. I started to make plans for the outdoor raking and sweeping. I had every good intention.

I heard the noisy miners belting up a storm in their usual way so naturally, I had to investigate. Typical, I thought, they've chased off the kookas again, as I caught a fast-fleeing glimpse.

Fly, kookaburra, fly
 A few hours later, when I was venturing for a second go out the back, the noisy miners were at it again. In numbers greater than usual, with a distinctly different, much more urgent chorus of squawking. And flight.

Even I sensed a degree of caution as I stepped out the back...with the 300mm lens of course. Can't be too careful in these situations.


It's here, it's there...

And then, I spotted what all the commotion was about: 


Spotted

On the move...

Outta here


Yes, about all 1.5m of it, or thereabouts. It was OK, I was pretty convinced it was a carpet python, but I wasn't going to get too close. Suffice to say, the clean-up down the back will be held over for another day. And yes, for once, grateful for the early warning signalling from the flock of miners. 

[Camera : Canon EOS 60D, 75-300mm...at 300mm and only 300mm; 11.59am, 3.09pm-3.20pm]