Saturday 8 August 2015

Day 220 2015: Returning to where it all began...

Day 220: ...and the band played the music

Today's focus was a rather hastily called concert for a Surfers Paradise event. There were a few other things too, but mostly it was about getting on a bus by 1.30pm, heading to the Coast, playing, packing up and coming home again. Love my pastimes!

As luck would have it, it was a beautiful SE Queensland sunshiny day and although I knew we weren't going to have a lot of spare time, I took the cam just-in-case. (Given that I have to also lug along two large instrument cases and a kit bag...it becomes quite a haul to add anything else.) The concert was right in the heart of Surfers Paradise, part of a food festival of sorts (though we didn't get to sample the wares...rarely do, we jobbing musician-types). But it sounded like people were enjoying themselves. 

The buildings are bigger in Surfers

How veryGC

Ibis! Oh, and other things

Bumping in...

Essential for the rhythm
I spent some of my childhood-teen years growing up on the Coast, before I left to study in Brisbane and, as it happened, never quite got around to returning 'home'. So it had been some years since I'd been to this part of Surfers (mum lives a few kms distant from here so I do get to the Coast regularly, just not here in the touristy parts). New buildings, new roads and then: old. Paradise Towers still lingered among the highrises. 

Paradise Towers (yes, with a little edited 'nostalgia' trickery...)

A nostalgia moment. One of my early casual jobs was in a vet's clinic across the road, and that part of Surfers also was the subject of one of my high school photography assignments...when I was just starting out on this habit of looking at life through a lens. 

But yes, concert done, fireworks blown (I've never sat under the trajectory of fireworks before...such is the life a an amateur musician...) we hopped back on the bus and home. 

Now, it's off to the north coast tomorrow for the uni open day and maybe we'll swing by the Ekka again. We'll need it. 

[Camera : Canon EOS 60D, 28-80mm, 3.34pm-3.39pm]