Wednesday 12 August 2015

Day 224 2015: Storm Boy...

Day 224: ...why we like pelicans

It was a public holiday today. And a work day. The public holiday was People's Day at the Ekka, limited to the City Council area. It means Brisbane residents like me who work outside the boundaries have to go to work. So I did. 

It is the long day too. Earlyish start, finish teaching at 9.00pm, do the requisite uploading of materials, leave at 10.30pm. Lazy academic-type that I am. 

I've taken to stepping out mid-afternoon before the late classes start, taking the camera for a walk, as well as my wellbeing. This morning I noticed some workers out at the buoy in the middle of the lake. By the time I was there again around 2.00pm I noticed it had been removed. Now this is the roosting spot of the only pelican I've seen in these parts so when I turned up to the lake, I wasn't surprised but a little sad to see the pelican looking a little lost...looking for the buoy perhaps?

There was also a storm on the way, the clouds on the southern horizon, and suddenly I remembered that Australian classic of my childhood, Storm Boy, about a boy and his pelican, Mr Percival.  By Colin Thiele, it was also a film and it has a lingering presence in the recesses of my mind. Maybe it is why I like pelicans.  

Swimming, in search of...

Birds of a certain feather...

Deep breaths...

Catching breaths...

Into the sun...

Lift

contemplation
It put on quite a show this afternoon, swimming, eating, flying...I really had to get back to the office but there was a lot to see, a lot to think about. The storm hit just as I had to walk across campus to class...timing.

[Camera : Canon EOS 60D, 75-300mm, 2.14pm-2.22pm]