Sunday 2 August 2015

Day 214 2015: Some things we just can't unsee...

Day 214: ...some things we can see again and again

As part of my work duties, I am sometimes required to go and see movies on the weekend. At the moment, the Gallery of Modern Art is running a cult Japan movie festival--all the movies one might have seen, might not have seen and wonder why they were even made, perhaps. As a lecturer in Japanese Studies, I should go and see as many as I can. And I've been trying to do so. 

I've tried to steer off the usual path of anime or anything I've seen previously. I'm delving back into the past with films of the 1950s and 1960s. Drama, sci-fi (yes, I know), the quirky, the bold, some with early incarnations of actors I've become familiar with in more recent times. Today, I hoped to see two but one was withdrawn. The other one, 'The Funeral Procession of Roses' (薔薇の葬列) was, well, I think I described it on twitter thus: 


[I think I just watched the most definitive cult counter-culture 1960s acid Japanese movie I've seen. And now I can't unsee it. ‪@QAGOMA Phew.]

And that's really what it was like. Scenes I saw I will never unsee--part cult, part horror, acid, drugs, gay bars, gay life. Gosh, and as it turned out, it was apparently being 'live-subtitled'...amazing.

Anyway, once it was outside and walking back to the bus stop, I saw a few familiar calming scenes.

It was sunset/twilight time at the Library stretch of the river...

Goodbye weekend

I thought I'd angle for another view of the new/old Victoria Bridge section...

Old Vicky Bridge / Comfortably ensconced wheel

And a 'thanks for all the dumplings' shot of South Bank on the last night of the Night Noodle Markets. 

Thanks for all the dumplings, Night Noodle Markets
Sometimes, it's good to see that with which we are unfamiliar, but it is always good to be back home.

Gotta love Brisbane, really.

[Camera : Canon EOS 60D, 28-80mm, 5.50pm, 6.01pm, 6.11pm]