Tuesday 8 September 2015

Day 251 2015: Trick photography?

Day 251: ...no, not really

Just a little luck, a little timing. Well, a lot of timing really. Here we are, day 251 and we came very close to being the first day in 616 days where I hadn't had time to take a pic as I left work for home...what to do?

It was dark when I left the office. Very dark. No lights, no moon. Perhaps I could try for the stars? Just then, a flash of, well, I'd like to say brilliance, but in fact it was a flash of lightning, left over from the storm earlier in the day. It was over in the east, over near the horizon. Hmm, Moffat Beach time. 

I just thought I might try and capture the lightning according to some vaguely recalled advice I had read one time about counting the seconds between flashes and setting the exposure accordingly, waiting, timing, something...

And if that didn't work, well then, perhaps it was time to take more night-time waves pics or get some more chips...or something. 

Anyway, I had a go. First effort: 

A flash to the right, ship lights to the left, on the horizon


Second effort: 

That's a little clearer

And third: 
And after the moment
And just for good measure, a couple of shore break shots anyway. 

Shadows cast...

Shadows on the sand

Not bad for a first go, relying on a dim memory and feigning spontaneity. It all more or less worked according to the theory. But cutting it fine nonetheless. Tomorrow it will be all about getting in early, and photographing often...


[Camera : Canon EOS60D, 28-80mm, 7.31pm-7.42pm]