Saturday 25 November 2017

Day 329, 25 Nov 2017: A long distance love...

Day 329: ...no, not what you're thinking...

It was a rather strange day today. I was not 'on-site' for an election that matters. It was a very strange feeling for me, not quite right. Prior to moving back to Japan, I was known for flying to Tokyo to observe elections. Today was the Queensland election and I had to watch from afar, while marking, finalising the final grades and preparing for next week's classes. In recent years, I've been fortunate to be either at the tally room (which they haven't done for a while and yes, I really went there) or in the foyer of the ABC in Brisbane to play psephologist (and watch the master, Antony Green, from afar). 

Still, in a nod to the internet, I was able to follow events pretty closely online, almost like being there, but not quite. 

But as it happened I spent a fair bit of time in the office in quiet 'contemplation' of the students' efforts in understanding Peace Studies, We're almost there, they did OK. Mostly.

Autumn clarity

Distortion 1 (not marking)

Distortion 2 (marking, not marking) 

Distortion 3 (marking, not elections)




Oh, and speaking of long distance things and the internet--my 8wordstory got up and I could see it from Tokyo, via a webcam, this one on Logan Road, coincidentally, not too far from home. 

True story too, I witnessed the rendezvous on the train the other day. Really. And I'm glad I'm old enough to have lived in a world pre-internet and can appreciate the wonder that allowed me to connect with home today. For the love, and elections.


[Camera : iPad, screenshot, Logan Rd Brisbane from Tokyo, 7.24am, iPhone 6s, 1.51pm, Lumix TZ-85, 3.52pm-3.54pm]