Saturday 4 November 2017

Day 307, 3 Nov 2017: An unlikely match...

Day 307: ...spiders and clouds

While waiting at the bus stop this morning, I looked up, as you do. It was a lovely morning for those lovely autumn clouds, the ones that look like little cotton balls skitting across the sky.

I noticed the spider building its web between the wires...good plan perhaps. Safety first and all that. It reminded me that the word 'kumo' can mean spider or cloud. Of course, the beauty that is Japanese, when written, the difference is clear: 蜘蛛   vs  雲   and when spoken, it is a difference in a careful emphasis on the sylllables. Normally context helps, but if I said 'this morning, I saw a 'kumo' in the sky', well, given the pic, it could be either really. I'd have to be very very careful with my pronunciation I guess. 

Or I could just keep quiet and take photographs. 

A kumo against the kumo


Photographs of the quiet things I see, like the port...on the surface. 

Stillness


It is probably very busy underneath that quiet surface.

[Camera : Lumix TZ-85, 7.25am, 12.28pm; 3 November 2017]