Tuesday 3 March 2015

Day 62 2015: When you can't see the ducks for the reeds...

Day 62: ...but then, a wow moment.

Yes, day 62 of the project, of the year, but it is only day 2 of week 1 in parallel universe--the university campus. Time, heh. So I can still draw on appalling metaphor and simile for today's offering dear reader. (As if yesterday wasn't bad enough...)

I remain optimistic that I will still manage to get home in time each Tuesday for my tai chi class. That means getting to work a little earlier in order to leave a little earlier and so far the timetable for that is working in my favour. I figured if I had my camera on me, I might grab another opportunity to check the lake. I took the small lens this time, it meant I'd have to take different sorts of pics. 

And so, I arrived, and like some students at the moment, they seem either enthusiastic or aghast, or both. It is like they're being told to see the ducks but all they can see are the reeds. 

It's my job to help them see the ducks...or, maybe the reeds, sometimes.



Do you see the reeds, or the ducks?
Even when the ducks head off to protect their young from weird camera-wielding humanoids...
We're all a bit clucky and protective at the moment

It's my job to help them soar above...

(I wish I'd had the 300mm lens)
...and then I found the pic I've always wanted...

Gotcha! A Graphic Flutterer
A dragonfly. Don't ask me why, I've always liked them. In Japan, the aka-tombo, or 'red dragonfly' has poetic and mythical meaning; this one? A Graphic Flutterer is my guess from other pics I've seen. Just zipped and zapped, here and there. So just when I thought I'd had a day where I'd seen it all, there was, as always, a wow moment. It is one of the rewards of my profession. And not a bad thing for the hobby either. 

Tomorrow, I'm the student...can can't wait.

[Camera : Canon EOS 60D, 28-80mm, 5.08pm-5.24pm]