Monday 9 March 2015

Day 68 2015: Duck, Ducked, Duck it...

Day 68: ...on a wing and a ...

...well something. I'm not sure. Week 2 and things remain unsettled on the campus...how many tutes do I have? Don't have? Sent hither, sent thither. I just want to do my job. It is just utterly ducked. 

~~cue segue~~

Yes, dear reader, I found more ducks on campus today. Nothing unusual there you might say. You will recall I learned last week that there are some 108 species of birds on campus. I am now becoming slightly on the other side of obsessive about seeking them out. By the lake. By the car park, just before I head for home. 

There were more ducks today, ones I haven't seen before. I think they are Whistling Ducks. Appropriate really. Much of the week has been about whistling dixie, and it is only Monday. 

Anyway, the lake was a source of much interest again today. The wood ducks' five ducklings are down to two (that seems to happen often), but the Whistlers were very proud parents as I approached. Seven or eight little ducklings, shepherded out to the water. The woodies followed. Others watched.

Perched

Surfacing, or sinking

The Whistlers

The Woodies

If I think about it, I dare say I spotted about ten different species in the short time I was there this afternoon. This could be fun. I think I'll take the longer lens next time. 

[Camera : Canon EOS 60D, 28-80mm, 4.49pm-4.53pm]