Monday 4 June 2018

Day 153/365: A bit of surfing history...

...a bit of a revival

Regular readers will know, as an aside, I am doing a little bit quite a lot of work on looking at the history of Japanese surfing, mostly out of interest but also now coincidentally in the lead-up to the 2020 Tokyo Olympics where surfing will be a demonstrator sport. 

Today it was off to Chiba to pick up my very own little bit of history--a replica 'itago', a form of bodyboard. It was also a chance to have a good chat with the maker, Ohkawa Nobuhito, 'Nobby-san', who has become Japan's unofficial keeper of the history of Japanese surfing

We are going to do some more work together, bringing the history of surfing in Japan to light. I'm looking forward to that.

Night bloomers

Near the bus stop, they bloom only at night...

My board, no. 7

Made of Japanese cedar

Nobbywood Surfboards

Craftsmanship

On the edge


In the meantime, excuse me while I go surfing...

[Camera : iPhone8, 7.03pm, 8.45pm-8.49pm; 2 June 2018]