Tuesday 12 June 2018

Day 160/365: A day in the country...

...more or less

Conference weekend. The annual Australian Studies conference is on, in Tsukuba, about a 45 min ride by express train to the north of Tokyo. 

I'm yet to experience one of those exotic sorts of conferences I hear about, the ones where people 'go to conferences' but seem to enjoy doing all sorts of other things. I generally go to conferences and attend all the sessions. Someone tells me I'm doing it wrong. 

Anyway, despite its proximity to Tokyo, this is only the second time I've come to Tsukuba--a bit of a sciencey, university-based town. The last time I was here was Expo 85, yes, that would be 1985. A student trip. 


Under the canopy, at lunch time


Start

Pause

Pondering

Waiting at the bus stop

Exciting conference nights




And with all the work going on indoors, there wasn't much time for exploring the surrounds. Besides, I have a paper to present tomorrow, must get back to work. 

[Camera : iPhone8, 12.58pm, 1.32pm, 5.54pm-6.14pm, 7.33pm; 9 June 2018]