Sunday 8 June 2014

Day 159.5: When is a storm cloud....

Day 159.5: ...not a storm cloud...?

Yes, dear reader, this is another in the series of 'lessons in photography', mainly for my benefit of course, but since there is a photo blog, and since I am a teacher/learner (an affliction that never goes away)...there's always something to share. 

Around the same time as the crested pigeon was about (see Day 159), I noticed some clouds gathering, and I know you know, dear reader, of my affinity for the taking of clouds, photographically...so...

With the dial on 'M', I took these two photos, within about 38 seconds of each other. Same clouds, different specifications. I thought them worth sharing because twitter can be inundated with storm pics when they happen (I've shared, I know) and I have marvelled at the intensity of the colour and density. 

I know broadcasters do ask for unedited pics (no filters, no effects, etc) but I wasn't quite so aware of the differences one could see via some movement in shutter speed and f stop. 

Of the two, pic 1 is probably closer to what it looked like at the time but pic 2 is much less intense. A most interesting comparison. Which one gives the sense of greater storm intensity?


Pic 1: ISO 200, f 14, 1/500 at 2.44.01pm

Pic 2: ISO 200, 1/200, f 16 at 2.44.39pm
Oh, there wasn't any rain in the end, in case you were wondering.

The third pic is another of the moon I took yesterday as I seek to improve my moon shots. Taken late in the afternoon, pre-sunset, there was still some blue in the actual sky...here it looks quite dark. 

ISO 200, f 5.6, 1/125 at 5.19 pm, 7 June (cropped)


I will continue to work at it. 

[Camera : Canon EOS 60D, 75-300mm lens]