Sunday 8 June 2014

Day 158: Take five, a jazz classic...

Day 158: ...to one day be classically played. 

Yes, it is a little bit exciting to have a 'regular' sort of gig down at the local coffee shop/art gallery these days. The saxophone was the first instrument I learnt to play when I decided to return to music properly in my mid-life. In recent years, because of the orchestra, I haven't been able to play it as much (orchestral snobbery really...the sax being that allegedly awkward crossover between brass and woodwind), and I've had to concentrate on the clarinets. 

So, each Saturday, some time between all my other Saturday commitments (today was clarinet rehearsal in the morning, other days it might be a play), I get the sax out and blow a few notes through, as background music. We're even planning a mid-week 'pizza night' with live music...teehee.

Jazz classic...
So far, to my surprise, the reaction has been rather positive. It's nice to be helping the new owner, Gloria, get the vibe happening down in our little part of the world. I'm just running through a few classics, it's quite a bit of fun. There's still a bit, well, quite a bit, of work to be done, but what's life if not a work-in-progress?

Time to come out of its case...
It is a great way to get out and play what is really my favourite instrument again. Just gimme five, I'll take five on the sax, anytime. 

[Camera : iPhone 4S, 4.06pm]