Thursday 10 February 2022

It came as expected...

 ...snowy evening... (41/365, 10 Feb 2022)

As predicted yesterday, it snowed today. Rather slowly and lightly at first, not really anywhere near the severe forecast last night--people should work at home, avoid going out, transport might be stopped, there could be blackouts, the snow will be wet and heavy*. (*OK, as a sub-tropical inhabitant, I'm not really too familiar with the snows as they happen.) 

With that said, and looking at my schedule for today and the fact that everything *could* be done online and it would be finishing late and in the dark, I think my subconscious decided last night that we would stay home today.

So to get up and see not very much snow, I did have a quick re-think but opted to stick to plan A. Turned out it was the right option. By the third meeting of the day, the snow was coming down quite heavily--if that is what you say snow does--kind of like heavy rain, but snow. And it was beginning to pile up just as the last meeting finished. It was also dark. And late.

So what is a Queenslander photographer still fascinated by the idea of snow to do? Get out there of course. Last time I did get to see the snow-covered Tokyo Daibutsu (here) but that was a holiday. I have seen others do some really interesting shots of night-time streetscapes, and although we don't have much in the way of lights and lighting around the neighbourhood, and it really was a bit far and a bit too heavy to go more towards the station and shopping area, I thought I'd pop around the block, to see what I could see. 

Sliding off

Yes, *that* tree again, but this time, birds of a feather flocking together, trying to keep warm

Snow settles on the roof

Daytime pics above, night-time pics below


In the park, I like the patterns that form

Snow falling and the lamp








View from under the umbrella


And, apropos the comment above, I also got to understand what they mean by wet and heavy snow. The texture this time was completely different from the snowfall last month. I think I'm beginning to get it.

There might be more tomorrow, or at least a few leftover flakes, it is still snowing as I write.

Today, daytime shots with the Canon EOS 90D, 70-300mm lens; tonight's street scenes with the Canon EOS M5, 18-150mm.