Sunday 27 February 2022

Where the river runs...

 ... or maybe a wide canal... (58/365, 27 Feb 2022)

There remains much going on that makes a blog like this seem, well, irrelevant really, save for making notes of the day(s) as they pass. Ukrainians continue to resist and there have even been some protests in Tokyo in support of Ukraine and peace. 

At home in Brisbane, we are facing floods reminiscent of February 2011. I went to work one day and by the end of the day was 'stranded' up the Coast, with the highway cut off through floodwaters. Fortunately, I was able to stay with friends. 

Today in Tokyo was like most other days. We are wary of high Covid case numbers and the weather remains clear and sunny, the temp even rose to a reasonable 17degC, though winds in the afternoon cut that back a bit. 

My early plan was to head to a high point in Tokyo, Skytree perhaps, or maybe Sunshine60 to catch a glimpse of Mt Fuji but the clear clear skies didn't last, and I expected hazy views. I'll leave that for another day. I thought about heading to Asakusa, another tourist spot to see before the tourists return...but being Sunday I thought, maybe a lot of other locals might have had the same idea...

A bike ride was also on the list, until the winds. Yes, they were that strong. So it was onto a bus to explore one of the local parks, about twenty minutes away but also, according to the map, quite near a major waterway...water! Let's explore.

So I did. Off to Azusawa Park and surrounds (also near where the Yanagisawa saxophone brand was born--yes, I settled on a Yanagisawa sax in my search last year, because of this local connection...but they are also very good horns).

I was rather surprised to see what I saw. Quite a reasonable expanse of water but also the familiar apartment blocks. Nearby Takashimadaira was one of the original 'danchi' mass housing projects during the postwar economic boom. I'll feature them one day (it was almost an option today), mainly because I did photograph them 30 years ago in my student days and I'd like to compare then and now. But I digress.  




A bit of a double negative here, NO!! to 'no lead' for dogs... I had to read it a couple of times...

Local sculpture 'River Breeze' (川風)


The Shinkansen bridge



Things that shouldn't be in trees, part 1



How strong was the wind? This strong...

Things that shouldn't be in trees, part 2

Waiting for the bus, at the end of the walk

I was also a bit surprised to see the northern Shinkansen pass through here too. I mean, on one level, it had to be so, I've caught that Shinkansen several times... but yes, interesting to get your bearings. I also imagine this will be a nice (secret) spot to view the sakura when they bloom...but that's our secret. Turned out, the actual 'park' I set out to visit, didn't have much to see, all the action was riverside. 

Stepped out with the Canon EOS M5, 18-150mm. Handy.