Wednesday 9 February 2022

It might look like day 39...

 ...but there is a difference ... (40/365, 9 Feb 2022)

I know yesterday's post ended up being about trees, with a couple of birds featuring. And although this blog is about...well, what is it about? I rarely 'plan' the photos I am going to take and post, I might 'plan' where I'm going to go but usually, as far as the pics go, I leave it to chance, a little photographic serendipity. 

The first principles of the original project 365 included finding the extraordinary, the beauty or the serendipitous in an otherwise ordinary day (or night). It was the part of the project that appealed--what might I see, if I'm looking for 'something'. 

That's how today ended up being birds and trees again, well, a bird in a tree. And really, it was in the middle of doing some very mundane early morning chores. In this case, I was walking back from putting out the garbage, collection day (one of three each week). 

Walking back along there veranda, I spotted several birds in a tree that is over in the neighbour's yard. It is a glorious sakura (cherry blossom) tree and I see a very interesting angle from my apartment door. At ground level, it looks very different. 

So of course, I raced inside, grabbed the nearest cam but by the time I stepped out again (really just a few seconds) there was just one left. It stayed long enough to get a couple of pics.


It is a rather rotund little bird

And we're off!


Just for reference, I happened to photograph the same tree (different bird) back in March last year, just as the sakura season was coming to an end. 


The sakura blossoms aren't far away (also though we have a snow alert to get through tomorrow first) so there will probably be more of this tree, and maybe some birds...you just never know what this project will lead us to. 

The cam I grabbed today was the Canon EOS 90D, 70-300mm lens, stretched to 300mm, of course. A little bit of cropping on these final versions.