Monday 14 February 2022

The strength of trees...

 ...and their textures...(45/365, 14 Feb 2022)

We have had a few hints of blossoms in the last few days. Now is the time for plum, red and white. Coming soon, the cherry blossoms. I don't want to say they're overrated, they're not, they are gorgeous every year...but they are not the only blossoms. 

And people seem to be of the view that you have to go to 'certain places' to see them and indeed, there are some stunning places to see them but the sakura trees are everywhere. Including my little neighbourhood park. It is just over three years since I moved to this neighbourhood and it wasn't long after I moved in that I wondered whether the trees across the way were sakura. Turns out they are. Very fortunate. And yet while the attention lasts for just a few weeks (yes, there will be pics soon), the trees stand tall all year around, all four seasons (or 72 seasons, depending on how you want to count them).

Anyway, today was a planned work at home day today simply because there was a huge snowfall predicted overnight. The snow certainly fell overnight, but it didn't hang around. But I stayed home anyway, and worked. Remember the other day I said there was much to learn about 'snow'? Well the snow that actually fell was probably just as much as the other day...but it didn't accumulate. I don't know. Much to learn. 

So of course, with working all day, meetings online again, little time to go for a wander to catch my breath. I did do my usual walk to the shop through the park but not to buy the paper today. What? you ask? No paper!? The papers get a 'holiday' once a month, usually Monday and today was that day.

On the way back, I detoured over to the big sakura tree just to check the blossoms...are the buds visible yet? How long before they bloom? All these questions. 

The buds are there, still small, but there. But I can't help but admire the texture of the tree--the trunk, the moss, the bark, the knots...




The buds are on the way

All from the one tree


I'm sure the neighbours whose apartments overlook the park think I'm a bit odd taking these pics, but really, the point of the project is to stop, for a moment, and admire whatever is around us, isn't it. Isn't it?

Today was just a couple or three quick snaps with the iPhone 12 mini.