Wednesday 10 January 2018

Day 9/365: Sail on...

...sail away

I have a view of a marvellous working port from my office, in case you hadn't noticed. The ships come and go, the tuggers operate all day, little boats, big boats, police boats, fishing boats and occasionally the odd, very odd, jet ski. There are also research boats that will berth for a few weeks, and then go. 

And when they suddenly up and go without warning, well, it is like losing something familiar. That is particularly so with the training ship NipponMaru which docked in early December. I think its just the masts really. A touch nostalgic for a seafaring time, I've never personally known, it must be said. 

But nostalgia can play tricks like that.

So while I was off training the next gen of budding political scientists, off went the ship into its next training adventure. 

Away

Under the bridge

Through the chop

And onwards unto the distance


And we are back to work, full-swing, with growing lists of growing responsibilities (some might say more a palming off of unwanted jobs to academics...but I wouldn't say that). One day, I might just hitch a ride or stow away on that barque, next time it drops by.

Sail away, sail away, sail away, as a song from my teens went. Or is that nostalgia laughing again?

[Camera : Lumix TZ-85, 2.42pm-3.16pm; 9 January 2018]